Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Completed Mantle



Finalmente!

Here it is, my completed mantle canvas. The original canvas' stitch guide had the mantle garland being stitched on, creating the mirror with stitches & ornamentation, and stitching a few mini stockings to be self finished and hung with care.

Since I have finished a few tiny ornaments by hand, I was not thrilled with this idea. So I dug into my research from a past obsession, dollhousing, which my DD & I were deeply involved in years ago. I decided to decorate my mantle with dollhouse miniatures.

As you can see from the photo, that is in fact a real mirror---see my hand reflected in the photo?! I attached the mirror, the mantle garland and the stockings with clear nylon thread. Off to the framers' this week!

Hope you enjoyed this adventure with me. I enjoyed working this canvas, and learned from the stitch guide as well as developed confidence to change things as I saw them.

D

1 comment:

Front Range Stitcher said...

I love what you did with this canvas, the background and carpet are beautiful and effective. Love your embellishing with actual miniatures too. Enjoying your blog.