Monday, July 6, 2009

How to Recouperate (when you never expected to be sick)


I would not be the best person to write a self help book with that title. I have no patience for myself as a patient, no patience with not feeling better consistently. As my Stitching Sister provided in my health report below, I am recovering nicely, despite the fact that I obviously felt the need to challenge the surgeon's skills by adding a surprise hernia operation to the relatively routine gall bladder extraction. I am cleared to go back to work, in the surgeon's words, "very slowly for no-stress activities." Not an option with my job and Type A personality. He really told me that I need to take it very slowly for the next few weeks, and "be patient with yourself." I am really not allowed to exercise strenuously for the next month. No gym. Aerobics only....mild aerobics--like walking. Or, as he said, strolling. I think that the surgeon has figured me out already.

So tomorrow I will try to go to the office for an hour or so. My plan is not to bring lunch so I will have no choice but to go home when I am hungry. "Do not allow me to order in a sandwich" are going to be the first words I say to my assistant.

As Linda told you, I did do quite a bit of stitching once I felt a little better. My darling daughter Ashley decided we needed to catch up with the rest of the world and watch the TV series, "Brothers & Sisters." (Tonight I finished Season 2 & now need to wait until September for Season 3 to be released on DVD so we can find out what the rest of the world already knows about Ryan. Don't tell me!)

So, as I watched, I worked up two custom canvases from Jody Needlepoint, two fleur di lis with two different color backgrounds for two bookends from Sudberry House. Then I did a fun "Stitch" canvas from Ruth Schmuff that Linda gave me for Christmas, which I plan to insert into a bright orange HP lacquer box. And, I did the Stitch of the Month for the Tony Minieri ANG Mystery Kimono, which is pictured here. Oh, and I also did a little canvas from my Teeny Mittens & Socks monthly club from Fireside Stitchery. And I read 3 books. And did 2 audio CLE's. And made my office bring me the mail every day except Friday.

But I rested. I took a nap every day. I slept until at least 8:30 AM every day. That's resting, right?

Sorry we both hit you with a blog update on the same date. It's either feast or famine around here ;)

Denise


No comments: