Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Finally, a little bit of Ponza....


Ok, I apologize....I've promised for weeks but have yet to show & tell. I kept wanting to get to a point where something seemed complete enough to show the full picture & the magic Tony Minieri worked on this outstanding canvas from Sharon G.

This first is an overview. I've done the bottom border, three of the four steps for three of the borders, & finished one border (the bottom one) completely. I've also completed the bottom right rocks, the sky & water, & started the rocks on the left.




Here's a close up of the rocks on the left. There will be at least two different types of stitches here, plus what I do with the shrubbery on top.....












And now, a close up of the bottom border, which is outstanding. Tony's creative mind amazed me.....




Can you tell that the rocks that stick up out of the water stick up off the canvas? They are french knots with random satin stitch over....pretty cool.

You can't really tell, but the water really shimmers...we are using a Sparkle Braid, one ply, three different colors, one of which is an overdye. It looks outstanding in person. Everyone I show it to goes..."Ahhhhh!"


Does make me wish I had gotten to Ponza this year...maybe next year!

Denise

3 comments:

Robin said...

Thank you, thank you!
Is it my eyes, or does the cliffs seem to have a face to them? Thanks for sharing and posting. Robin

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Beautiful! Thanks, Denise. This has been worth waiting for.

SharonG Needlepoint said...

In answer to Robin, Now that you mentioned it, I do see a face in the companion piece top this has a cat in the rocks. You can see it on this link top row right.

http://sharong.com/catalog/new.html

Denise, beautiful work! I love it that Tony has you doing lots of open stitches to let the paint show through. Sharon G